Tony Greenstein | 08 July 2017 | Post Views:

I was brought up to believe that
when Israel was founded, she was attacked by her Arab neighbours because they
hated a Jewish state.  It was this in
mind that the Arab villagers were instructed, by the leaders of the Arab
states, to evacuate in order that the Arab armies could operate without let or
A column of Israeli army half tracks travel through the Negev Desert area of Palestine during recent action against the Egyptians, Jan. 6, 1949. (AP)
It wasn’t until 1961 that two
scholars, independently of each other, Erskine Childers and Walid Khalidi,
examined the BBC and CIA transcripts of the period and found that these orders
were a convenient fiction, that on the contrary the refugees had been ordered
to remain.
We were also brought up on the
myth of the purity of arms, that Israeli soldiers were the bearers of a Jewish morality.  That having been founded as a result of the Holocaust
they were more than aware of not repeating Nazi deeds.  Jewish soldiers didn’t rape or pillage or
massacre.  A Jewish state meant Jewish morality.
In fact Israel waged at its
birth a ceaseless war in the Negev to remove as many Bedouin tribesmen as
possible to neighbouring states and, as in the following story, declared free
fire zones where any Arab they met was murdererd.
The following story, which first
appeared in Ha’aretz, describes how an Arab girl, between 10 and 20 years old,
was mass raped, on 3 successive days, by different squadrons.  Having abused her sufficiently a shallow
grave was dug and she was murdered.  The
comparison with what happened on the plains of White Russia to the Jews, when Nazi
Germany invaded hardly bears repeating.

Although 19 of those involved eventually received prison sentences of 4 years each, even this puny sentence was cut in half.  Two years for killing a Palestinian child.  For Palestinians who kill Israeli soldiers, life means life.

Tony Greenstein
Newly revealed documents
obtained by Haaretz tell the long-hidden story of what Ben-Gurion described as
a ‘horrific atrocity’: In August 1949 an IDF unit caught a Bedouin girl, held
her captive in a Negev outpost, gang-raped her, executed her at the order of
the platoon commander and buried her in a shallow grave in the desert. Twenty
soldiers who took part in the episode, including the platoon commander, were
court-martialed and sent to prison.
Aviv Lavie, Moshe Gorali Oct 29,
There was a particularly festive
atmosphere at the Nirim outpost on August 12, 1949, the eve of Shabbat. A week
of dusty patrols and pursuits of infiltrators in the sands of the western Negev
desert was at an end, and the commander of the hilltop site, Second Lieutenant
Moshe, gave the order to make the preparations for a party. The tables in the
large tent that was used as a mess hall were arranged in rows, sweets of
various kinds were laid out on them and even a bit of wine was poured, though
not enough to get drunk on. At exactly 8 P.M. the soldiers took their places
and platoon commander Moshe recited the blessing over the wine. He then gave a
Zionist pep talk, reiterating the importance of the unit’s mission and the troops’
contribution to the infant state. At the order of his deputy, Sergeant Michael,
Private Yehuda read from the Bible. When he finished the soldiers burst into
song, told jokes, ate and drank. A merry time was had by all.
Shortly before the end of the
party, at about 9:30, the platoon commander asked for quiet. He got up and,
with a smile on his face, reminded the soldiers about the Bedouin girl they had
caught earlier that day during a patrol in their sector. They had brought her
to the outpost and she was now locked up in one of the huts. Platoon commander
Moshe said he was putting forward two options for a vote. The first was that
the Bedouin girl would become the outpost’s kitchen worker; the second was for
the soldiers to have their way with her. The proposals got an enthusiastic
reception. A melee ensued. The soldiers raised their hands and the second
option was accepted by majority vote. “We want to fuck,” the soldiers
chanted. The commander decided on the order: Squad A on day one, Squad B on day
two and Squad C on day three. The driver, Corporal Shaul, asked jokingly,
And what about the drivers? Are they orphans?” The platoon commander
replied that they were part of the staff squad, together with the sergeant, the
squad commanders, the cooks, the medic and he himself, of course. He added a
threat – if any of the soldiers touch the girl “the tommy [tommy gun] will
” The soldiers took this as a warning not to violate the order the
commander had decreed.
The party ended, the soldiers
went off to their tents. The officer ordered the platoon sergeant to bring a
folding bed to the tent they shared and to place the Bedouin girl on it.
Sergeant Michael did as he was told, entered the tent, closed the flap and shut
off the lantern.
Thus began one of the ugliest
and most appalling episodes in the history of the Israel Defense Forces. Even
at a remove of 54 years, it is difficult to understand how an event of this
kind could have happened with the participation, active or less active, of
dozens of soldiers in uniform.
Low professional and moral level
The IDF of 1949, still in its
infancy and called upon to defend the borders of the newborn state, found
itself having to cope – not always successfully – with the rapid absorption of
a very large number of untrained soldiers, especially those who were sent to
the front immediately after disembarking from the ship in which they had
arrived in Israel. “A rabble of new immigrants with a low professional and
moral level,” was the blunt description offered by the special military
court in its verdict on the episode of the Nirim outpost.
Yehuda (his full name, as well
as the names of others who were interviewed for this article, are in the
possession of Haaretz) was one of the soldiers serving in the outpost in August
1949. He is now a 74-year-old pensioner who lives in the north. He accepts the
description of the group as a “rabble”: “I was then 20 years
old,” he says. “I ran away from the Turkish Army to Palestine and
immediately enlisted. I remember that all the members of our battalion were new
immigrants. Everyone was from a different country: Algeria, Hungary, Romania,
Tunisia, Turkey, Morocco. We didn’t know Hebrew, we communicated between us by
sign language. We did our basic training at the Dead Sea. We were taught how to
hold a rifle in a mess hall at Sodom. Then we were sent to the outpost, where
we did patrols or trained in the trenches and practiced rushing to our
Yehuda remembers the night of
the party, but claims that he was then on guard duty and that he heard the
story about the vote and what happened afterward only as a rumor. Together with
17 members of the platoon he was court-martialed for “negligence in
preventing a crime.” He was sentenced to four years in prison; his term
was cut in half by the appeals court.
Yitzhak, who is the same age as
Yehuda and now lives in the center, received the same punishment. He, too, had
arrived in Israel a few months before the summer of 1949, and he did not know
Hebrew. Today he is retired and has health problems. “I remember being in
the Negev but I can’t even remember the name of the unit. I had just arrived in
the country, I looked like a boy, I did a lot of guard duty. I had forgotten
about that whole affair, I don’t remember a thing, I haven’t thought about it
for maybe 50 years. The only reason I was tried was that I was in the outpost
when it happened. Beyond that I don’t remember a thing and I have nothing to
say. Was I angry at those who did it? What would it help me to be angry?”
The developments in the IDF
after the War of Independence may furnish a partial explanation for the chain
of events that is described in this article; but no more than a partial
explanation. After all, the platoon commander, Moshe, who spearheaded the affair,
was not part of the “new IDF.” “The officer and the sergeant
were veteran Israelis and spoke fluent Hebrew,”
Yehuda recalls. As far as
is known, Moshe served in the British Army and afterward in the 8th Brigade
under the command of the legendary Yitzhak Sadeh in what was the only IDF
armored brigade in the War of Independence. The brigade was disbanded after the
war and its officers and soldiers were reassigned to various units. Officer
Moshe was sent to the Negev.
The Negev Region Command was
established after the War of Independence. It was a regional command and its
assignment was to secure the lengthy new border line between Israel and Egypt.
The staff headquarters were located in Be’er Sheva, and the units were deployed
in outposts along the border with the aim of preventing the infiltration of
Bedouin from the Egyptian desert. The military historian Meir Pa’il, a retired
colonel, was appointed operations officer of the Negev Region in December 1949,
four months after the events with which this article deals. Pa’il: “The
Negev was sparsely populated. We were barely able to cobble together one
reserve battalion from all those who lived in the settlements in the region. In
order to man the border line, units were sent on a rotating basis from other
regions, such as the Golani Brigade, the 7th Brigade and so forth. In addition
to preventing infiltrations, there was also an effort to remove as many Bedouin
as possible from the country – from the Halutza Dunes area, for example. It was
a kind of cleansing across the Egyptian border. The tribes who had cooperated
during the war were left where they were; those who were hostile were
One of the battalions of the
Negev Region was known as the Sodom District Battalion. The battalion was
originally in charge of the Dead Sea and Arava area, but at the beginning of
August 1949 it was moved to the Bilu Junction, near Rehovot, where it waited a
few days for new orders. The battalion commander was Major Yehuda Drexler, who
was nicknamed “Idel.” Over the years, Drexler, afterward a leading
architect, worked for the Jewish Agency, was one of the planners of Kibbutz Sde
Boker in the Negev (Ben-Gurion’s kibbutz) and reached the rank of department
head in the Israel Lands Administration. One of the company commanders in the
battalion was Captain Uri.
On August 8, his company was
ordered to move south to man the outposts in the western Negev. The platoons
were stationed at three kibbutzim: Be’eri, where the company headquarters and
Captain Uri himself were stationed, Yad Mordechai and Nirim. Platoon 3, headed
by the new commander, Second Lieutenant Moshe, who had been given command of
the unit only a few days earlier, was sent to the Nirim outpost, which was
responsible for the most remote and most dangerous sector – adjacent to the
border with Egypt. Sergeant Michael was the deputy commander of the platoon.
On the eve of the move south,
the company commander, Captain Uri, briefed the soldiers. Intelligence reports
received from aerial patrols over the western Negev mentioned two Bedouin
tribes that had been spotted in the sector. “You are to shoot to kill at
any Arab in the territory of your sector,”
the company commander said.
Moshe asked for the operational order in writing, as customary. The company commander
promised to bring the written document to the outpost at a later date.
Platoon 3 reached Nirim on the
afternoon of Tuesday, August 9. The infrastructure of the camp was quickly put
in place: three large tents as the soldiers’ quarters, a small tent for the officer
and the sergeant, and a big tent as the mess hall. In addition, there was a
small hut that served as the office of the platoon’s headquarters and another
hut, unused, which would play a central role in the episode.
In the summer of 1949, there was
no longer any connection between Kibbutz Nirim and the outpost of the same
name. The outpost bore the name Nirim because it was situated at the place
where Kibbutz Nirim was originally established, in June 1946. The young
kibbutz, which was located on the edge of the desert, fought for its survival
in the harsh climatic conditions of the area and became the first settlement to
be attacked on the first day of the War of Independence, on May 15, 1948. The
Egyptians, with a force that included an artillery battalion, an infantry
battalion and dozens of armored vehicles, launched a heavy barrage that caused
immense damage: all the buildings of the kibbutz were burned to the ground, the
animals died, and eight kibbutz members were killed and four wounded (of a total
of 39 members). The barrage was followed by an assault mounted by hundreds of
infantry soldiers, who reached the fence of the kibbutz. The kibbutzniks,
firing from their trenches, inflicted heavy losses on the Egyptian force and
miraculously the attack ended. The Egyptians changed their mind and decided to
forgo the pleasure of infiltrating and capturing the kibbutz. Instead, they
simply went around it on their way north.
The Nirim group spent the war in
shelters and caves that they dug. When the hostilities ended and they were
finally able to come to the surface in safety, they entered into talks with the
army and the state authorities. There was a confluence of interests: the army
coveted the site because of its strategic location; the kibbutzniks wanted to
move north, to the line of 200 millimeters of rain a year.
In March 1994 the kibbutz moved
about 15 kilometers north, to its present location. The IDF took over the
terrain-dominating outpost, which was henceforth known as “Old
Nirim,” or “Dangour,” as it was originally called – the name
still appears on some maps – apparently after an Egyptian Jew who purchased
land in the area. There is now a monument of rough concrete at the site that
commemorates the kibbutz members who were killed in the Egyptian assault on the
first day of the 1948 war. The monument bears an inscription: “It is not
the tank that will triumph, but man.” If you climb the monument and look
west, you can see the rooftops of Khan Yunis.
The commander orders an
On Tuesday, August 9, the
platoon organized itself at the outpost. The soldiers soon got used to the ways
of the new commander. Second Lieutenant Moshe turned out to be a strict
disciplinarian who demanded order and obedience. The soldiers had to dress
properly and shave every day. Anyone who violated the orders was hauled before
Moshe. The soldiers were apparently somewhat in awe of him. The next day the
company commander, Captain Uri, visited the platoon. The first couple of days
passed uneventfully. Until the morning of Friday, August 12.
At about 9 A.M. that day, Second
Lieutenant Moshe set out on a patrol in the southwestern section of the sector,
in a vehicle known as a “command car.” With him were two squad
commanders, Corporal David and Corporal Gideon, and three soldiers: privates
Moshe, Yehuda and Aziz. The driver was Corporal Shaul. All the men were armed.
On the way they came across an
Arab who was holding an English rifle. When the Arab spotted them he threw down
the rifle and started to run up the dune. One of the soldiers opened fire at
him with a submachine gun. The Arab was hit and died on the spot. His rifle was
taken as booty.
A short time later, the patrol
encountered three Arabs – two men and a girl. There are different versions
regarding the girl’s age. According to some accounts she was a young girl aged
between 10 and 15; others say she was between 15 and 20. Platoon commander
Moshe ordered the soldiers to seize the Arabs and search them. The soldiers
found nothing. Officer Moshe then ordered the soldiers to bring the girl into
the vehicle. Her shouts and screams were to no avail. Once she was inside the
vehicle the soldiers scared off the two Arabs by shooting in the air. On the
way back to the outpost they came across a herd of camels grazing. Officer
Moshe ordered the soldiers to shoot the animals. Six camels were shot dead;
their carcasses were left to rot in the field.
After the girl calmed down a
bit, the soldiers exchanged a few words with her – especially Corporal David.
They also talked among themselves, and the word “fuckable” came up in
the conversation. The patrol returned to the outpost in the afternoon. At about
the same time, another vehicle also arrived at the outpost: the battalion
commander, Yehuda Drexler, was paying a visit, He was accompanied by Captain
Mordechai (Motke) Ben Porat, operations officer of the Negev Region. Ben Porat
eventually reached the rank of brigadier general in the Armored Corps and after
his retirement from the army served as chairman of the National Parks
At the outpost, the soldiers
removed the girl from the vehicle. Officer Moshe ordered that she be taken to
the unused hut and a guard placed at the door. Private Avraham was designated
the guard. Drexler, who noticed a certain commotion around the girl, asked what
she was doing there. Officer Moshe replied that on the patrol he had
encountered her and her husband, who was armed with a rifle. He told Drexler
that they had killed the husband and taken the girl prisoner in order to interrogate
her about the location of her tribe. Drexler authorized her interrogation but
ordered that afterward she be taken back to the place where she had been
seized, and released. He also asked platoon commander Moshe to ensure that the
soldiers did not abuse her. Drexler and Ben Porat spent about two hours at the
outpost, had lunch and left.
Shortly after their departure,
Officer Moshe went out on another patrol, this time in the northern sector, in
the direction of the new location of the kibbutz. After he had left, the
platoon sergeant, Michael, removed the girl from the hut and pulled off the
traditional garment she was wearing. He then made her stand, completely naked,
under the water pipe that the soldiers used as a shower, then soaped her and
rinsed her off. The pipe was outside and everyone at the outpost was able to
witness the spectacle.
After the shower was over,
Sergeant Michael burned the girl’s dress and dressed her in a purple jersey and
a pair of khaki shorts. Now looking like a regular Palmach commando, she was
taken back to the hut and placed under the guard of Private Avraham. In short
order a group of soldiers gathered around the hut. They milled around the guard
and demanded that he let them go inside. At first he refused, but finally relented.
In fact, he was the first to go in. He spent about five minutes in the hut and
emerged buttoning up his trousers. He was followed by Private Albert, who was
also in the hut for about five minutes, and then Private Liba.
Liba was still in the hut when
platoon commander Moshe returned from the patrol. A few soldiers shouted a
warning to Liba, who ran out of the hut and disappeared. Officer Moshe
apparently understood what had happened, conducted a quick debriefing, and
afterward, in the dining room, was heard to say that “three soldiers raped
the Arab girl.” He ordered her to be brought to the staff hut. The squad
commanders, Corporal David and Corporal Gideon, were present in the hut.
Officer Moshe took note of the girl’s new apparel but said nothing. She told
him, in Arabic, that the soldiers “played with her.” It was obvious
to Moshe what she meant. Corporal Gideon, who would be one of the main
prosecution witnesses in the trial, testified that after the girl told Officer
Moshe what she told him, he said to the others that she must be washed so she
would be clean for fucking. Gideon, who lives in Givatayim and works as a tour
guide, declined to be interviewed for this article.
At about 5 P.M., the platoon
commander ordered Private Moshe, who was a barber by profession, to give the
girl a haircut. That was done in the presence of the commander and the
sergeant. Her hair, which had spilled down to her shoulders, was cut short and
washed with kerosene. Again she was placed under the pipe, naked, before the
scrutinizing eyes of the officer and the sergeant. Afterward she was dressed in
the same jersey and shorts and sent back to the hut.
Then came the party, after which
Officer Moshe and Sergeant Michael closeted themselves with the girl in their
tent. After about half an hour, Officer Moshe ordered her taken out of the
tent, because “there is a stink coming off her.” Sergeant Michael
called Private David and the two of them removed the bed from the tent, with
the girl lying on it in a state of unconsciousness. They carried the bed to the
entrance of the hut. Michael placed the girl on the floor, went to get water
and poured the water on her. He then carried her in his arms into the hut.
Corporal David accompanied him.
At about 6 A.M. the next day,
Private Eliahu was on guard duty and saw the girl leaving the hut. He asked her
where she was going and she told him, weeping, that she wanted to see the
officer. Private Eliahu showed her the way to Officer Moshe’s tent. She
complained to him that the soldiers had “played with her.” He
threatened to kill her and sent her back to the hut. A short time later, while
shaving at the water pipe, Sergeant Michael asked the platoon commander what to
do with her. Officer Moshe ordered him to execute the girl.
Michael ordered Corporal David
to have two soldiers get shovels and accompany him. Michael and David removed
the girl from the hut and had her get into the patrol vehicle. Just before the
vehicle left the outpost, one of the soldiers shouted that he wanted back the short
pants the girl was wearing. Officer Moshe ordered her to be stripped and the
pants returned to the soldier. She now wore only the jersey, her lower body
Eliahu and Shimon dig a grave
The vehicle set out, driven by
Corporal Shaul. Also in the vehicle were Sergeant Michael, Corporal David, the
medic, and the two soldiers who were to be the gravediggers, Privates Eliahu
and Shimon, with their shovels. They drove about 500 meters from the outpost.
The driver, Shaul, stayed in the vehicle, while the others, with the girl,
moved off a little way into the dunes. Privates Eliahu and Shimon set about
digging a grave. When the girl saw what they were doing, she screamed and
started to run. She ran about six meters before Sergeant Michael aimed his tommy
gun at her and fired one bullet. The bullet struck the right side of her head
and blood began to pour out. She fell on the spot and did not move again. The
two soldiers went on digging.
Sergeant Michael went back to
the vehicle. Pale and trembling, he laid down his weapon and said to Shaul,
“I didn’t believe I could do something like that.” Shaul said that
maybe the bullet didn’t kill her and that she was liable to lie in torment for
a few hours, buried alive. He asked Michael to do him a personal mercy by going
back to the girl and shooting her a few more times, to ascertain that she was
dead. The sergeant did not manage to carry out that mission. Corporal David
came over, took the tommy gun and fired a few bullets into the girl’s body. The
pit the privates dug wasn’t very deep, only about 30 centimeters. They placed
the body in the pit, covered it over with sand and returned to the outpost.
That afternoon the company
commander, Captain Uri, visited the outpost. Not finding Second Lieutenant
Moshe at the site, he left the written operation order that Moshe had requested
with the platoon sergeant. Officer Moshe was then on his way to Be’er Sheva. It
was Saturday night and he was on his way to see a movie. At the movie theater
he met the battalion commander, Drexler. Drexler asked whether the Bedouin girl
had been taken back to the place where she was found. Officer Moshe said she
hadn’t: “They killed her,” he said, “it was a shame to waste the
gas.” Drexler said nothing but the next day ordered the company commander
to go to the outpost and find out exactly what happened there.
Even before he received the
order, Captain Uri, who had heard rumors about the events at the outpost, asked
Officer Moshe for a report about what had happened with the Arab girl. Moshe
ordered Sergeant Michael to draw up the report in his handwriting. When the
report was completed, Officer Moshe signed it and sent it to the company
commander. The following is the report, dated August 15, 1949:
“Nirim Outpost. To: Company
Commander. From: Commander, Nirim Outpost.
Re: Report on the captive
In my patrol on 12.8.49 I
encountered Arabs in the territory under my command, one of them armed. I
killed the armed Arab on the spot and took his weapon. I took the Arab female
captive. On the first night the soldiers abused her and the next day I saw fit
to remove her from the world.
Signed: Moshe, second

Posted in

Tony Greenstein

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.